adidas Originals and Bristol Studio unveil the SS19 collaboration featuring footwear and apparel. The street-level tribute to retro basketball culture was inspired by Bristol Studios’ Creative Director, Luke Tadashi’s summers spent in Venice Beach, CA. The nine piece capsule consists of a track jacket, snap pants, hoodie, t-shirt, ¾ length shorts, BYW LVL II sneaker, Adilette slides, socks and a headband.
“As kids, my two best friends, MAASAI [Ephriam] and London [Perrantes], and I would ride our bikes through Venice to hoop with the adults in Venice Beach. We’d do this practically every day in the summer, it was our ritual. This collection recaptures that time in our youth,” explains Tadashi. Additionally he explains that "The color story takes inspiration from the colors we would see on our bike rides through Venice: colorful but muted tones. We shot everything on-location, retracing the bike route we took as kids to the courts on the beach. The young kids who modeled the collection are all family, related to either Luke, MAASAI or London."
• Track Jacket: Inspired by past adidas pieces, which used three-stripe blocking, Bristol Studio and adidas Originals blended the past with the future by creating the first-ever three-stripe trim along the sleeves, crafted from threading a zig-zag stitch over PVC trim.
• Snap Pants: Bristol Studio and adidas Originals blended the past with the future by creating the first ever three-stripe trim along the legs. Being a staple of Tadashi’s childhood, the snap-pant was critical to include in the collection.
• Hoodie: A French Terry hoodie that takes design-cues from adidas Originals x Bristol Studio inline collection, with a contrast kangaroo pocket showing the loop-side of the terry.
• T-Shirt: The t-shirt sports an oversized collar to pay homage to the t-shirt collars Tadashi and friends wore as kids. A jock tag is above the hem as a reference to basketball jerseys.
• 3⁄4 Shorts: A cornerstone of Tadashi’s closet, the 3⁄4 short is perfect for California weather and was a constant theme he found on the basketball courts of Venice Beach.
• BYW LVL II: This brand new BYW LVL II combines premium leathers and features a textured knit mesh. The highlight of the sneaker is that the left and right shoe are mirror images of one another. A patchwork detail is added on the inner of the sneaker, tying into the design of the collection’s Adilette slides. For versatility while styling, the sneaker comes with four different color options for laces.
• Adillette Slides: This patchwork slide is made of classic “sport” materials such as meshes, leathers, and suede.
Ian Flanigan (@ianflaniganphotographs)